When it comes to the traditional American holiday meal, turkey still leads the flock. During the holiday season, demand for this versatile protein skyrockets. Consumers not only want turkey at home, they expect to see it on your menu. Check out Chef Neil Doherty’s recipe for The Perfect Turkey and take the opportunity to leave a lasting impression!
- Wash turkey and pat dry. Sprinkle cavity with salt and pepper. Stuff inside with the thyme, lemon, one onion quartered and the garlic.
- Rub the bird with butter and sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper.
- Take the remaining two onions, slice and toss in a little olive oil, place on bottom of roasting pan, place turkey on top – turn the wings under.
- Roast turkey for one hour.
- After one hour. Toss in the potatoes, carrots and chopped fennel with remaining olive oil and add to roasting pan.
- Return to oven and cook for an additional 1 – 1 1/2 hours or until juices run clear - when you cut between leg and thigh.
- Remove turkey, place on board, tent with foil and let sit for 1/2 hour.
- Stir up vegetables, return to oven while turkey rests.
- Slice turkey and plate with the roasted vegetables.