- In a large sauté pan add the oil, diced onion, diced jalapeño, diced mushrooms, chopped garlic, and matchstick carrots and cook for 10 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, take half of the black beans and mash them with a fork or potato masher.
- When the mushrooms are completely dry, add the mixture to the mashed black beans, followed by the whole black beans, chopped cilantro, green onion, and rolled oats. Add your seasonings and corn starch and begin to fold together and incorporate well. Taste for seasoning and adjust with salt and pepper if needed.
- Refrigerate mixture for at least 2 hours. When chilled, begin to make your patties about 4-6 ounces - your choice. Place in a pan with oil and sear for 3 minutes on each side. One tip - do not make the patties thick. 1/2 inch - 3/4 inch will suffice.
- Dress up with your favorite topping and bun. Enjoy!
Ingredient availability varies by location*