This rich, delicious version of French toast strikes a pleasing balance. The earthy flavor and crunchy texture of whole-grain bread works together with a custard-like lemon-ricotta filling and sweet fig syrup to create layers of indulgent flavor.
Turkish Fig Syrup
For the Turkish Fig Syrup
- Heat all ingredients and 1 cup water to a simmer in a saucepan over medium-high heat; reduce heat to low and cook until thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Cool ﬁg mixture and purée in a blender.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container up to 6 days. Makes about 1 cup.
For the Lemon-Ricotta Stuffing
- Stir all ingredients in a bowl. Refrigerate in an airtight container up to 6 days. Makes about 1 cup.
- Whisk eggs and milk in a shallow bowl.
- Spread a portion of Lemon-Ricotta Stuffing on 1 side of 2 bread slices and sandwich together.
- Dip in egg-milk mixture and cook on oiled ﬂat-top griddle over medium heat until golden brown and slightly crispy, about 6 minutes.
- Serve French toast with a portion of Turkish Fig Syrup topped with a portion of raspberries and almonds.