Directions for Filling
- Bring a pot of water to a boil; add chicken and cook for 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet and cook onion and red bell pepper. Stir until softened and add garlic; cook and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute
- Shred chicken and add to skillet. Add sherry and capers; season with salt. Cook and stir chicken mixture until heated through and flavors have blended, 10 to 15 minutes. Mix cilantro and tomatoes into chicken mixture; cook and stir until tomatoes start to break down, 5 to 10 minutes.
Directions for Arepas
- Place warm water in mixing bowl, add salt.
- Slowly stir in arepa meal into warm water until a wet dough forms. It should be firm enough to pick up with wet hands and form into cakes.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Place oil into skillet and place arepa cake into oil.
- Cook until brown on one side, 3-4 minutes, and then flip to brown opposite side.
- Drain on paper towel and let cool. Slice through middle to fill with desired fillings.
- Open arepas in half and add 4 oz of chicken.
- Garnish with cabbage slaw, avocado slices, and salsa rosada.
Ingredient availability varies by location*