Banh mi are traditionally filled with proteins such as grilled chicken, pork and sometimes even tofu. Here, we’ve paired the classic pickled daikon radish and carrot accompaniments with labor-saving Sysco Imperial breaded avocado slices. Just deep-fry the slices and add them warm to this inventive plant based sandwich.
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the vinegar, sugar and salt and bring to a simmer.
- Cook, stirring to dissolve the sugar, for 1 minute. Remove from the heat. When cool, add the julienned carrot and daikon.
- Let stand until the vegetables are lightly pickled, about 15 minutes. Strain the vegetables and discard the liquid.
- In a bowl, mix the mayonnaise and Sriracha.
- In a deep fryer heated to 350 degrees, fry the breaded avocado slices until crisp. Remove and set aside.
- Slice the filone roll and toast on a flattop grill or in the oven.
- Place the fried avocado pieces on the bottom half of the toasted roll.
- Spread the mayonnaise mixture on the top half of the roll.
- Fill the sandwich with the pickled vegetables, sliced jalapeno and cilantro leaves.
- Cook an egg using your preferred method and place in the center of the sandwich.
- Cut the sandwich in half—right through the egg—and serve.
Ingredient availability varies by location*