Kale Salsa Verde
Brine Spice Blend
Prepare brine spice blend
- Add fennel seed, coriander, while peppercorns, and juniper berries to a saute pan and toast over medium heat until fragrant.
- Grind the toasted spices and combine with the salt and sugar. Set aside.
Prepare beet blend
- Toss together the grated beets, dill, ginger, dill, and lemon zest. Set Aside.
- Lay down a couple layers of plastic wrap on a sheet pan and sprinkle half of the brine spice blend onto the center of the plastic wrap in roughly the same shape of the salmon fillet.
- Pat dry the salmon with paper towels, then place it on top of the bed of brine spices. Pour the remaining brine spices on top and spread around in an even layer to cover the top side of salmon completely.
- Carefully sprinkle half of the grated beet mixture over the salmon. Lay a couple layers of plastic wrap facing up and sprinkle the remaining grated beet mixture over the brine spice surface. Spread around in an even layer to cover this side of the salmon completely.
- Wrap the beet encrusted salmon up tightly in several layers of plastic wrap. Lay flat on the sheet pan with a weight on top and store in the refrigerator for 3-5 days to cure.
- Unwrap the salmon and rinse off the beet and salt crust. Pat dry with food safe towels.
- Thinly slice the cured salmon against the grain and set aside.
Make kale salsa verde
- Blanch the kale in boiling salted water for 2 minutes, then drain and wring out excess moisture.
- Add the blanched kale, parsley, capers, garlic, chile flakes, chives, oregano, anchovy paste, extra virgin olive oil, 1 tbsp lemon juice, white wine vinegar, lemon zest ¼ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp black pepper to a blender and pulse on medium low speed to chop/ puree coarse.
Ingredient availability varies by location*