Sysco Simply Plant Based Protein (Pulled Oats™), made of a superfood blend of oats, beans, and peas, has the neutral flavor and “pulled” texture to replace the traditional meat used in many pasta sauces.
Vegan Pomodoro Sauce
For the Pasta
- Prepare pasta as label directs; reserve 1 cup pasta water for sauce. Drain pasta and drizzle with oil.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container up to 4 days. Makes about 8 cups.
For the Vegan Pomodoro Sauce
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add garlic, shallots, salt, and pepper; cook until fragrant and tender, about 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add tomatoes and sugar; increase heat to medium, cover, and cook until sauce begins to thicken, about 5 minutes.
- Add cashews, tomato paste, and pasta water; cook until cashews are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Cool slightly; purée in a blender until smooth. Refrigerate in an airtight container up to 6 days. Makes about 4 cups.
- Heat a portion of oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Add a portion of each plant based protein, garlic, and zucchini; cook until golden brown and zucchini are tender, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add escarole and tomatoes; cook just until wilted, about 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add a portion of pasta and sauce; cook 3 minutes or until heated through, stirring frequently. Serve garnished with pepper.