Beautiful inside and out, beets come in eye-popping reds, oranges and yellows and are packed with vitamins and minerals. Salty Sysco cold-smoked bacon and tangy lemon and cider vinegar add the perfect flavor contrast.
- Heat a convection oven to 375 degrees. Coat the beets lightly with the olive oil. Wrap them in aluminum foil, place on a sheet pan and bake for about 45 minutes. Remove the beets from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Peel, cut them in half horizontally and slice them into wedges. While the beets are cooking, slice the bacon into small pieces. Heat a sauté pan over medium heat and cook the bacon until most of the fat is rendered and the pieces are crisp.
- Remove the bacon from the pan and reserve pan with the bacon fat for later use. In a 14-inch pan over medium heat, add the butter and cook until just before it starts to brown, about 3 minutes. Add the roasted gold beets to the pan and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the julienned red onion and cook for 3 minutes longer. Add walnuts, honey, lemon juice and apple cider vinegar and cook for 5 minutes longer. Once the pan sauce has started to thicken, add in the sage and bacon and cook for 2 minutes longer.
- Reheat the pan with bacon fat to medium heat. Add the roasted red beets and get a nice sear. Cook for about 5 minutes, then remove from the heat. Add the red beets to the gold beet pan, finish with fresh parsley and serve.
Ingredient availability varies by location*