Bread pudding enriched with egg yolks and cream is made with the Italian seasonal treat panettone for extra panache. Serve topped with rich crème anglaise and Wholesome Farms ice cream mixed with amarena cherries, another Italian winter favorite.
For Crème Anglaise
- In a small saucepan, heat the cream and vanilla until bubbles form at the edges of the pan.
- While the cream is heating, in a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks and sugar together until smooth.
- Slowly pour ½ cup of the hot milk mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly. Gradually add the egg yolk mixture back to the remaining milk mixture, whisking constantly. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture coats the back of a spoon.
For Bread Pudding
- Begin by making the custard: Bring the cream, half-and-half, sugar and vanilla to a boil. Remove from the heat, pour over the almond chocolate and stir until chocolate is just melted.
- In a medium bowl, combine the eggs and yolks. Temper the hot cream mixture into the eggs while mixing the eggs with a whisk.
- Cut the panettone bread into 1-inch cubes. Add them to the custard and allow the mixture to chill for at least an hour or up to overnight.
- Prepare a 2-inch half hotel pan by coating it generously with the nonstick spray and then lining it with parchment paper cut slightly smaller than the pan itself.
- Spray the parchment as well. Pour the pudding mixture over the parchment and wrap the pan tightly with foil.
- Heat a convection oven to 330 degrees. Place a half sheet tray filled with water on the center rack.
- Place the covered pudding in the sheet tray. Bake the custard until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 75 minutes.
- Allow the pudding to cool for 30 minutes. Use a 2½-inch ring cutter to make 12 equal portions.
- Finish the pudding with crème anglaise and top with 3 ounces of gelato. Garnish with amarena cherries and gooseberries. Serve warm.