- In a blender, place half of chopped onions, tomatoes, and two garlic cloves and blend until all ingredients are incorporated. Add water if needed.
- Place in a pot, add salt, pepper, carrots, celery, and bay leaves and add water. Heat until it reaches a boiling point. Discard vegetables and strain broth through a sieve. Return broth to heat, and boil to reduce by half, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- While broth is reducing, heat 3 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add plant based protein and cook until browned, about 10 minutes, stirring.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet. Over medium heat cook the remaining half of onions, the garlic, jalapenos, green peppers and 1 tablespoon salt until softened, about 10 minutes. Stir in 1 tablespoon of salt.
- Stir in 3 cups reduced broth. Cook for 10 minutes over medium heat. Stir in plant based protein, parsley, oregano, and cumin. Cook 3 minutes more.
- Serve with white rice.
Ingredient availability varies by location*