Your items have been added.
- Melt the butter in a medium, heavy bottomed saucepan. Add the flour and stir for 1-2 minutes, to make sure the raw flour taste is cooked out.
- Gradually stir in about a third of the milk, making sure the milk is incorporated and there are no floury lumps.
- When the sauce has noticeably thickened, add another third of the milk and repeat the process.
- Add the last third of the milk and cook until the sauce is nice and thick. Simmer gently for 5 minutes and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Add a pinch of nutmeg and a splash of Irish whiskey for a rich flavor.
- Cut the leek into small slices. Melt the butter in a frying pan and add the leek with a good pinch or two of salt. Cook on a low temperature until the leek slices are soft, about 10-15 minutes.
- Chop the ham into bite sized pieces and roughly slice the cheese. Chop any whole walnuts into smaller pieces.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Stir the ham, leek, cheese and walnuts into the white sauce in the saucepan. Pile the mixture into the individual bowls.
- Cut out circles of puff pastry that are larger than the diameter of the bowls and will be enough to completely cover the tops. Brush the tops of pies with the beaten egg.
Place in the preheated oven and cook for about 20 minutes until the top
of the pies are golden brown and puffed up.
- Serve piping hot straight from the bowls!
Ingredient availability varies by location*