- Follow instructions for beef base by combining .5 lb. base with 2 gallons of hot water.
- Brown ground beef until fully cooked, then remove from pot. Discard all grease and fat except 2 tablespoons.
- Sauté diced onion and minced garlic cloves in remaining beef fat until translucent and rendered.
- Return beef to the pot with garlic and onion. Season this mixture with dry spices.
- Drain and rinse both cans of beans. Add beans and beef broth to the pot.
- Drain 1 can of sweet potatoes/yams and roughly mash until most of the chunks are broken down.
- Add mashed sweet potatoes to chili and continue to simmer. The sweet potatoes will act as a thickening agent in the chili as it continues to cook. Simmer until desired consistently. Season with salt to taste.
- Suggest garnishing with sour cream, fresh jalapeno, and cilantro.
Ingredient availability varies by location*