Mashups are all the rage right now. A cross between Mexican and Southern barbecue? Check! How about a cross between a street taco and a cheesy sandwich? Check! Complex, meaty and spicy flavors come together in this one-of-a-kind dish.
Quick Pickled Pineapple, Red Onion & Jalapeño
Aleppo Pepper Pipian Verde
Al Pastor-Style Pulled Pork
For the Quick Pickled Pineapple, Red Onion & Jalapeño
- Place jalapeño pepper, onion, and pineapple in a bowl.
- Heat vinegar, sugar, salt, and 1 cup water to a boil in a saucepan over high heat; remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Pour vinegar mixture over jalapeño pepper, onion, and pineapple.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container at least 2 hours or up to 6 days. Makes about 2½ cups.
For the Aleppo Pepper Pipian Verde
- Roast pepitas on a sheet tray at 400°F until fragrant and golden brown, about 8 minutes.
- Toss garlic, tomatillos, jalapeño pepper, onion, 1 tablespoon oil, pepper ﬂakes, salt, and cumin in a bowl; transfer to a hotel pan and roast at 400°F until very tender and lightly caramelized, about 50 minutes; cool slightly.
- Pulse pepitas in a food processor to ﬁne crumbs. Add garlic mixture and cilantro; purée. With processor running, slowly drizzle in remaining 1 tablespoon oil to emulsify.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container up to 6 days. Makes about 1¼ cups.
For the Al Pastor-Style Pulled Pork
- Toss all ingredients in a bowl. Refrigerate in an airtight container up to 6 days. Makes about 3 cups.
For the Yuca Frita
- Heat yuca and 2 quarts salted water to a boil in a saucepan over high heat; reduce heat to medium and simmer until yuca is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain and pat dry with paper towel; refrigerate in an airtight container up to 6 days. Makes about 3 cups.
- Heat pork on ﬂat-top griddle over medium heat until it starts to caramelize, about 6 minutes, turning once.
- Top with 2 slices cheese and cook until melted, about 2 minutes.
- Brush 1 side of 2 bread slices with butter; place buttered side down on ﬂat-top.
- Top 1 slice of bread with a portion of Aleppo Pepper Pipian Verde and pork and cheese; cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Top cheese with a portion of each tomato, Quick Pickled Pineapple, Red Onion, & Jalapeño, and remaining slice of bread.
- Deep-fry a portion of yuca in vegetable oil at 350°F until golden brown and crisp, about 6 minutes; sprinkle with salt.