Slow-cooked short ribs, with their rich and silky fat content, are the ultimate winter comfort food. Here the dish gets an update with some Asian-style flavors and ingredients. Serve with rice or a crisp Asian slaw a dazzling dish.
FOR THE BRINE MIX
- Place all ingredients in a large pot and bring to the boil. Remove from heat and let cool.
FOR THE COOKING LIQUID
- Place all the stock ingredients in a large pot and bring to the boil. Let simmer for 20 minutes.
FOR THE SHORT RIBS
- Place the ribs into the brine and chill for 2 hours. Remove the ribs from the brine and rinse.
- Place the ribs in a roasting pan and cover with the liquid. Braise the ribs for 2 to 3 hours until the meat is falling off the bone.
- Allow them to cool in the cooking liquid.
- Bring the cooking liquid to a boil and reduce to a glaze. Brush the ribs with the glaze and place in the oven to re-heat.
- Serve 1 rib per dish, garnishing with spring onions and sliced chili.