- In a small pan whisk together 4 oz. sugar and 2 oz. rice vinegar. Bring to a light simmer to dissolve the sugar. Remove from the heat, add 2 oz. carrots and let that mixture stand for 10minutes. Add cup full of ice to shock the pickled carrots. Let sit for at least an hour.
- In a small bowl whisk together 4 oz. soy sauce, sambal, 1 tablespoon sesame oil, and 1 oz. honey. Set aside.
- Using a mandolin slicer or a sharp knife to thinly slice 1 oz. cucumber, .5 oz. jalapeno, and .5 oz. watermelon radish. Set aside for later.
- Sauté 4 oz. pulled oats until crispy, add the soy sauce mixture and let it slightly reduce to glaze the pulled oats. While the sauce is reducing, cut baguette in half and toast it.
- Assemble the sandwich according to the photo, garnishing with the micro cilantro and green onions and serve.
This Vietnamese sandwich is typically a combination of meat (usually pork) and vegetables, but our take here is plant-based and calls for crispy pulled oats and a combination of fresh and picked vegetables.
Ingredient availability varies by location*