Dates, once an exotic and hard-to-get ingredient, are the star of this moist Christmas cake. Serve the cake plated on a layer of the caramel sauce, with the sauce poured on top, or you can serve the sauce on the side in a mini gravy boat.
Sticky Toffee Cake
For Sticky Toffee Cake
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease a 12-cup Bundt pan or 12 individual 8-ounce ramekins.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the dates and water and cook, stirring often, until reduced to a jam consistency. Set aside.
- In an electric mixer, combine butter and sugar and beat until light and creamy.
- Mix in eggs and vanilla and then the reserved date mixture.
- In a bowl, combine flour and baking soda.
- Remove the date mixture from the mixer, add the flour and baking soda and blend thoroughly by hand.
- Pour into the greased Bundt pan and bake for 40 minutes. (Ramekins may take slightly less time.)
For Caramel Sauce
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the sugar, cream, butter and vanilla and bring to a boil. Continue to cook at a boil for 5 minutes.
- While the cake is still hot, poke it thoroughly with a skewer or toothpick. Pour the caramel sauce over the cake, reserving some for garnish.
Ingredient availability varies by location*