For an all-American meal that works as well on the Fourth of July as it does on Christmas Eve, turn to this combination of recipes from the Pacific Northwest. The fruits of the land meet the region’s favorite fish in a stellar pairing.
FOR THE BUTTERNUT SQUASH CASSEROLE
- Heat the oil in a large pan over high heat, and pan-sear the butternut squash, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste. Cook just until the squash begins to color.
- Roast in a 400-degree oven for 30 minutes until al dente. Remove and set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in a large heavy skillet over medium high heat. Add kale, reduce heat and add half the vegetable broth.
- Stir in the pulse blend and roasted squash and season with salt and white pepper to taste. Add additional vegetable broth as needed to keep moist.
FOR THE PACIFIC RIM GRAVY
- Combine cornstarch with 1 cup of the chicken broth; stir well to dissolve and set aside.
- In a saucepan over high heat, combine the oyster sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar and Gochujang. Whisk well to combine and bring to a simmer.
- Whisk cornstarch/broth mixture and slowly pour it into the saucepan, whisking to incorporate.
- Bring the gravy to a boil, then remove from heat and cover until needed for service. Taste for seasoning as needed.
FOR THE ROASTED SALMON
- Rinse the salmon with cold water and pat dry. Remove fins and tail and discard.
- In a small bowl, mix together the allspice, cinnamon, half the white pepper, coriander and brown sugar and rub liberally into the interior of the salmon, reserving some for later. Rub olive oil, salt and the remaining white pepper onto the skin and allow to rest for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Make half inch deep slits every two inches in the skin. Fill the cavity with orange slices, garlic and sweet chili sauce. Place in the oven and roast for 45-50 minutes, basting every 15 minutes with pan juices.
- Remove salmon from oven when internal temperature reaches 125 degrees 45-50 minutes; then let rest for 10 minutes.
- Plate salmon onto serving platter and garnish with grilled lemons.