In this versatile recipe, a comfortingly simple Italian-style vegetable soup is topped with bruschetta, as well as Sysco’s exciting new plant based meatballs. Your Nonna would be proud—especially if she were watching her cholesterol.
- Heat a rondeau over medium heat and add olive oil.
- Sear the meatballs on all sides being careful not to burn.
- When browned, remove meatballs from pan and set aside.
- Add the garlic, carrots, onion, and celery to the pan, and sweat until translucent.
- Add the chopped kale and cook an additional 2–3 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with cooking wine, and add red pepper flakes.
- Allow the wine to reduce by half.
- Whisk together the hot water and the vegetable base.
- Add this to the pan and bring to a simmer.
- Next, add the oregano, parsley and bruschetta mixture to the pot.
- Allow to simmer until the carrots are fork tender, about 30 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add 4 halves of the browned Sysco Simply Plant Based Meatball to each bowl.
- Ladle piping hot soup over the meatballs.
- Drizzle one teaspoon of pesto over the soup prior to serving.
Ingredient availability varies by location*