Salmonella is one of the kitchen hazards that can be avoided with the proper preparation and training. Get prepared to tackle salmonella with these best practices:
Frequent handwashing. Hands should be washed BEFORE handling food and BETWEEN handling different food ites.
Keep prep areas clean. Thoroughly wash hands, kitchen work surfaces and utensils with soap and water immediately after contact with raw meat or poultry.
Avoid cross contamination. Uncooked meats should be kept separate from produce, cooked foods and ready-to-eat foods.
Prepare Food Carefully
Appropriate cook times. Cook poultry, ground beef and eggs thouroughly. Do not serve foods containing raw eggs or raw (unpasteurized) milk.
Rinse fruits & vegetables. Rinse thoroughly before preparing and serving unless it’s been commercially pre-washed.
Discard contaminated food. Discard food that may have come in contact with Salmonella or an infected person.
Clean Thoroughly & Routinely
Clean and sanitize food centric objects and surfaces in the back of the house with an EPA-registered, food-safe sanitizer with claims against Salmonella. FOCUS ESPECIALLY on prep surfaces and high-touch objects: utensils, prep and serving ware, cookware, etc.
Clean restrooms, waiting area and breakrooms using an EPA-registered sanitizer or disinfectant with claims against Salmonella. FOCUS ESPECIALLY on high-touch areas: chairs, door knobs, menus, etc.
Be Prepared with the Proper Products: Check Out These Key Solutions
- Keystone Antimicrobial Fruit & Vegetable Treatment: No-rinse treatment for fresh produce that reduces 99.9% of pathogens* in wash water. EPA Reg. No. 1677-234
- Keystone Sanitizing Wash ‘n Walk: Enzymatic, no rinse floor cleaner that helps prevent grease build up and sanitizes killing 99.9% of E. coli, Listeria and Salmonella. EPA Reg. No. 1677-239
- Biohazard Response Spill Kit: Cleans and disinfects non-food spills/accidents. Refill kit available. Includes EPA-registered product.
- Keystone Apex Solid Quat: Go wide, go broad, go best with the industry’s first solid sanitizer that’s effective under an impressively wide range. Plus, no rinse needed on food contact surfaces. Can be used with Mobile Solids Dispenser – Solid Quat Broad Range Sanitizer (9223-1104)
- Keystone Multi-Quat Sanitizer: Spray, wipe, mop or third sink sanitize across a dilution range of 0.26-0.68 oz. per gallon water. This concentrated, no-rinse sanitizer multiplies the easy and adds up to smart. EPA/DIN registered, EPA Reg. No. 1677-198
- Keystone Redi San RTU Hard Surface Sanitizer: Quickly clean and sanitize with power and leave behind streak-free, sparking surfaces. This one-step, no-rinse, multi-purpose, ready-touse formula helps ensures health code compliance.
*Scallan E, Hoekstra RM, Angulo FJ, Tauxe RV, Widdowson M-A, Roy SL, et al. Foodborne illness acquired in the United States—major pathogens. Emerg Infect Dis. 2011 Jan. http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/17/1/p1-1101_article.htm