A Spanish empanada meets an American breakfast on the go. This handheld pie is a perfect snack or small bite for busy diners who don’t have time to enjoy a seated breakfast. Pair with a coffee drink or smoothie for a complete meal.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon, stirring occasionally, until well browned and crispy, 10 to 12 minutes.
- While the bacon is cooking, whisk the eggs in a medium bowl with salt and pepper.
- Once bacon is cooked, remove from the skillet with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat; once the foaming subsides, pour the eggs into the skillet. Cook the eggs, stirring constantly, until they begin to set but are still loose.
- Turn off the heat. Fold in the Cheddar cheese, green onions and crumbled cooked bacon.
- Spoon about 3 tablespoons of the filling into the center of each thawed pot pie crust.
- Fold the pie dough in half to form a half-moon and gently seal the edges with your fingers. Then twist and fold the edges of the empanadas with your fingers.
- Cook in a 400-degree oven until golden-brown, for 12 to 15 minutes.