These easy-to-prepare empanadas are made with vegan Beyond Meat ® Beyond Sausage ®, crumbled tofu and deep-fried plantains. Together, the sausage and plantains create a Caribbean flavor profile that wakes up your senses. Serve as a grab-and-go breakfast or snack.
- Deep-fry the plantains at 350 degrees until they are a deep golden- brown. Remove to paper towels and set aside. Pat the tofu dry and roll it in a clean absorbent towel.
- Place a small cast-iron skillet on top and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Unwrap the tofu and crumble with a fork into bite-sized pieces.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and add the onions, peppers and garlic. Cook until the onions are soft. Add the oregano, cumin and cilantro. Let cook for 2 minutes.
- Add Beyond Sausage to the pan with the other ingredients. Stir and cook until the sausage is cooked through.
- Add the crumbled tofu to the pan and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until heated through. Add the plantains and gently mix in. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon about 3 tablespoons of the filling into the center of each pot pie crust.
- Fold the pie dough in half to form a half-moon and gently seal the edges with your fingers. Then twist and fold the edges of the empanadas with your fingers.
- Deep-fry empanadas at 350 degrees until golden brown. Transfer to paper towels to drain and cool.