- Using a pairing knife shave off the tough outer leaves of the artichoke. Cut off the choke, approximately 1 inch form the top. Trim the stem of the artichoke all the way up to the head.
- Place immediately into a bowl of acidulated water( water with lemon juice) this prevents discoloration.
- Reduce the wine, blood orange juice, bay leaf and fresh thyme sprig with the shallot by half.
- Add the cream, and bring to boil reduce to simmer.
- Whisk in the cubed butter a few pieces at at time whisking continuously. Once all the butter is incorporated remove from heat and strain season with salt and pepper to taste reserve.
- Fry the whole artichoke at 325 degrees in oil ( preferably olive oil) fry for 15 minutes turning with tongs, until stem can be easily pierced. Artichoke will be golden brown.
- Remove from heat and gently encourage leaves to spread, place on paper towel, stem up and allow to cool. ( at this point you can freeze if desired)
- To serve place in oil at 350 degrees, and fry until crisp, remove and season, serve hot with lemon, or Sicilian Blood Orange Beurre Blanc.
Ingredient availability varies by location*