Choosing a meat-free lifestyle shouldn’t have to mean sacrificing flavor or fun. And you don’t have to be a vegan to enjoy this ingenious dish, in which Brussels sprouts get the full “Buffalo Wings” treatment: battered, fried, drizzled with hot sauce and served with a (vegan) ranch dressing.
VEGAN RANCH DRESSING
FOR THE BRUSSELS SPROUTS
- In a mixing bowl, combine almond milk and apple cider vinegar and let sit for a few minutes. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, salt and black pepper.
- Whisk the hot sauce into the thickened almond milk. Whisk almond milk and flour mixtures together until smooth. Put panko in a separate mixing bowl.
- Add Brussels sprouts to almond milk mixture and thoroughly coat. Transfer to breadcrumbs and coat completely.
- Fry Brussels sprouts in a deep fryer until you can pierce them with a toothpick, about 5 minutes.
FOR BUFFALO- GARLIC SAUCE
- In a sauté pan, melt the vegan butter. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat and add the soy sauce, hot sauce and agave syrup. Set aside.
FOR THE VEGAN RANCH DRESSING
- Soak the cashews in hot water for at least 3 hours or up to overnight. In a bowl, combine the almond milk and lemon juice.
After a few minutes, the milk will begin to thicken and curdle. Drain and
rinse the cashews several times and transfer to a blender.
- Add the almond milk mixture, garlic, onion powder, apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper and maple syrup. Blend for 1 to 2 minutes or until smooth. Add the fresh herbs and pulse just enough to combine. Adjust seasonings if needed.
- Toss the Brussels sprouts in the Buffalo-garlic sauce. Serve next to vegan ranch dressing, topped with chives.
Ingredient availability varies by location*