Featuring Portico Cod, here’s one of England’s most iconic comfort foods, Fish and Chips. Serve crunchy cod fillet with crisp French fries accompanied by a creamy tartar sauce.
- In a bowl stir together the mayonnaise, parsley, relish, onion, minced celery, mustard, lemon juice, the tarragon and celery seeds, and Tabasco until the sauce is combine well. May be made 1 day in advance and kept covered and chilled.
- In a bowl stir together the cod, eggs, scallion, parsley, onion, the bread crumbs, 2 tbsp of the tartar sauce, the Tabasco, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Form heaping teaspoons of the mixture into balls, and roll the balls in the ground saltines.
- In a large deep skillet heat 1 ½ inches of the oil to 350 degrees F. and it fry the cod balls in batches for 11/2 to 2 minutes on each side, or until golden.
- Transfer the fritters with a slotted spoon as they are fried to paper towels to drain.
- Serve the fritters warm with the remaining tartar sauce.