- For the Coquito blend all the ingredients together, pour into a couple of bottles and let refrigerate for a couple of weeks, shaking each day, the longer it sits the stronger it gets. We usually make after Thanksgiving for Christmas.
- For the Bacalitos rinse salt cod and place in a bowl of water, then place in a bowl of cold water and place in the cooler for 4 hours and drain, repeat this process twice. This is so that most of the salt is rinsed away and you rehydrate the cod.
- Place cod into a saucepan and cover with cold water and the white vinegar, bring to a boil remove from the heat and let stand covered for 20 minutes.
- While cod is cooling, add the remaining ingredients into a large stainless steel mixing bowl, take a cup of the cooking liquor (poaching liquid) from the fish and slowly incorporate into the mixture, then add an additional cup of cold water.
- Remove fish from the liquor and shred by hand, fold into the pancake type batter if it is too thick, thin with water, the lighter the batter the crispier the bacalito.
- In a 350 degree fryer spoon in the fritters, they will float to the top, flip them over to brown and crisp evenly for 3- 4 minutes.
- Serve hot with a sauce made from equal amounts ketchup, mayonnaise, and the juice of one lime.