PillsburyTM 9-inch preformed pie shells, made with lard or vegetable shortening, offer a tender shortbread-like texture in a metal tin with a specially designed slope and lip to increase dough stability and minimize breakage. The neutral flavor works well for both sweet and savory pies.
- Heat standard/reel oven to 400°F or convection oven to 350°F.
- Place shell on a parchment lined sheet pan and thaw 5 to 15 minutes.
- Prick bottom and around side thoroughly with fork. If crust becomes too soft, return to freezer.
- For a crisp crust, crumple a piece of parchment or tin foil and place on top of the cold raw crust. Top with 1 cup of dry beans or other pie weights and spread evenly around on top of the parchment paper. Bake as suggested below. Remove the beans and parchment. Bake additional 3-4 minutes. If desired, for extra browning, shell should be dry to the touch when completely baked.
- Bake in standard/reel oven for 11 to 14 minutes or convection oven for 9 to 11 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool and fill as directed in your recipe.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, and water until smooth.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; stir in gelatin until dissolved. Refrigerate until slightly cooled, 15-20 minutes.
- Arrange strawberries in the baked shell. Pour gelatin mixture over berries. Refrigerate until set.
- Serve with whipped cream if desired.
Ingredient availability varies by location*