Chef Jason Knapp’s Southwest Grain Bowl With Salmon is made with high-fiber black beans, colorful mixed vegetables and heart-healthy Path of Life 5 Grain Blend.
CHARRED LIME CREMA
ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH
FOR THE CHARRED LIME CREMA
- Heat grill to high heat. Zest the limes and reserve the zest. Cut the limes in half and grill, cut side down, until they have a deep char. Remove from heat; cool for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, juice the limes into the crema Mexicana, add the zest and kosher salt, and mix until combined. Chill until ready to serve.
FOR THE BUTTERNUT SQUASH
- In a bowl, toss the butternut squash, oil, and salt and pepper. Place on a sheet pan and roast at 350 degrees until tender, about 35 minutes, tossing the squash about halfway through cooking.
FOR THE BOWL
- Blanch the five grain blend in boiling water and drain; hold warm.
- Heat two sauté pans over medium-high heat. In one pan, heat 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the onion, roasted red pepper and garlic. Sauté until the onion softens, tossing occasionally to not burn garlic. Add 1 tablespoon of salt and 2 teaspoons of pepper, combine and keep warm.
- In the other sauté pan, heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil. Add the corn blend and beans and sauté until hot. Add remaining salt and pepper, combine and keep warm.
FOR THE SALMON
- Season salmon fillets with the turmeric and Cajun seasoning. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Place salmon fillets in pan. Reduce heat to medium. Once the salmon is golden brown, turn the fillets over and cook until desired doneness, about 4 minutes on each side.
- In two wide-rimmed bowls, place portions of the sautéed 5 Grain Blend, black beans and corn-poblano blend. Lay a salmon fillet across the top.
- Garnish each bowl with ¼ cup each of radish, fennel and carrots, and ½ cup of beets and roasted butternut squash. Finish with the daikon sprouts, charred lime crema and lime wedge.