Seared steak adds protein and a touch of decadence to this spring mix salad, with crumbled blue cheese and candied pecans filling out the plate. (Make this salad even quicker and easier by purchasing candied pecans instead of preparing them yourself.)
FOR THE CANDIED PECANS
- Heat the oven to 250 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, vigorously whisk the egg white with the water and vanilla extract until very frothy.
- In a separate small mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, cinnamon, cayenne and salt.
- Add pecans to egg white mixture and toss until evenly coated.
- Pour half the sugar mixture over the pecans and toss several times.
FOR THE FILET
- Season the meat on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Place on a charbroiler that has been sprayed with oil and grill until medium-rare and internal temperature reaches about 125 degrees.
- Remove from grill and let rest.
- While the steak is resting, combine the spring mix, arugula, onion, cherries and blue cheese in a large bowl.
- Gently fold in the avocado so as to not break the slices.
- Slice the steak into strips and arrange on top of the salad.
- Sprinkle with pecans, drizzle with blackberry peppercorn vinaigrette and serve.
Ingredient availability varies by location*