This inventive dish freely mixes and matches ingredients normally associated with breakfast, such as waffles and bacon, with dessert items like Wholesome Farms ice cream spiked with cinnamon and strawberry preserves, larded with bacon drippings. Customize to fit your own menu.
SWEET POTATO WAFFLE
CINNAMON ICE CREAM
STRAWBERRY BACON DRIZZLE
FOR THE WAFFLE
- Preheat a waffle iron.
- Chop praline pecans in a food processor (keeping some whole to garnish at the end) until finely ground.
- In a medium bowl, whisk sweet potato and ½ cup water until thoroughly combined.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk the waffle mix, cinnamon, ground pecans and salt together to remove clumps.
- Add the sweet potato mixture to the dry ingredients.
- Add the remaining water to thin out the mixture as needed.
- Whisk until ribbons can be seen when lifting the batter up with the whisk.
- Evenly drizzle 1 cup waffle batter (depending on the iron used) onto the hot waffle iron.
- Close the iron and cook 3 to 5 minutes. Remove waffle and keep warm for service.
FOR THE CINNAMON ICE CREAM
- In a small saucepan, combine the cinnamon, sugar and water and bring to a simmer until sugar is dissolved. Let cool.
- Place the ice cream in a mixing bowl and refrigerate for 10 to 15 minutes, or until workable.
- Quickly fold half of the cinnamon simple syrup into the ice cream; return ice cream to freezer for at least 2 hours.
FOR THE STRAWBERRY BACON DRIZZLE
- In a blender, combine all ingredients and process until smooth. Allow to cool.
- Place the hot waffle on a plate with some of the fresh strawberries in the middle.
- Place a 4-ounce scoop of cinnamon ice cream on top and coat the ice cream with some of the strawberry–bacon drizzle.
- Drizzle the remaining half of the cinnamon simple syrup over the dessert and top with whipped cream, whole pralines and remaining quartered strawberries, if desired.