PillsburyTM 9-inch preformed pie shells, made with lard or vegetable shortening, offer a tender shortbread-like texture in a metal tin with a specially designed slope and lip to increase dough stability and minimize breakage. The neutral flavor works well for both sweet and savory pies.
- Heat standard/reel oven to 350°F or convection oven to 300°F.
- Lightly thaw pie shell and dock the crust with a fork around sides and bottom of crust. Place pie shell on a sheet pan for stability.
- In a large bowl, whisk the milk, eggs, flour, salt, and pepper until well blended.
- Place ½ shredded cheese on the bottom of the docked pie shell. (Reserve remaining cheese).
- Evenly add the thawed broccoli and bell pepper.
- Gently pour in egg mixture up to the rim of the crust but not over it.
- Carefully place pan in oven. Bake for 26 to 32 minutes in convection oven (longer in standard oven, up to 50 minutes) or until a knife inserted into the center of a quiche comes out clean.
- Once the knife comes out clean, top with remaining shredded cheese and put back in oven for 5 more minutes to melt the cheese.
- Serve warm or let cool completely and then cover & refrigerate up to 3 days. Do not freeze cooked quiche or the texture will be affected.
- To freeze unbaked quiche, place quiche on a tray or baking pan and freeze until firm. Wrap with freezer paper or heavy-duty (or double thickness) aluminum foil or slide quiche into a freezer bag. Seal, label, and freeze for up to one month.
Ingredient availability varies by location*