The Hatch Chile Crab Cake Wafflewich touches on several current breakfast trends, including inventive breakfast sandwiches, new ways to use waffles and incorporating more seafood into the morning meal. Premade crab cakes take some of the work off your shoulders.
BLUE CORN WAFFLES
SUNNY SIDE UP EGG
GREEN TOMATO FRIES
TURMERIC GARLIC AIOLI
FOR THE BLUE CORN WAFFLES
- Preheat the waffle iron.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, salt and pepper, and mix well.
- In another bowl, combine egg, milk and butter and whisk them well.
- Then add the remaining ingredients and combine.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Pour 2 ounces of batter into the center of the waffle iron and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Hold the waffles until ready to build the sandwiches.
FOR THE SUNNY SIDE EGG
- Heat the oil in a nonstick skillet over low heat until slightly shimmering.
- Crack an egg into a small ramekin and slowly add it to the skillet; repeat with the other eggs, adding them to the other side of the skillet.
- Cover with a tight lid and cook, uninterrupted, until the whites are completely set but the yolks are still runny, 2 to 2½ minutes.
- Slide the eggs out of the skillet onto a plate and season with salt to taste.
FOR CRAB CAKE
- Heat a skillet over medium-low heat, add oil and sear the crab cake on both sides. (You might need to flatten it with a metal spatula.)
- Cook until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees, about 2 minutes per side. Remove crab cake from skillet; hold warm until plating.
FOR THE NAPA SLAW
- Place Napa cabbage in a mixing bowl along with the lemon juice, salt and remoulade sauce. Mix well and reserve until plating.
FOR THE GREEN TOMATO FRIES
- Slice tomatoes into “petals,” leaving the core intact; then cut the petals into sticks and place them in a mixing bowl.
- Season with salt and Cajun seasoning. Add the flour and mix well.
- Dip tomato pieces into the buttermilk and then into the cornmeal.
- Place them in a deep-fryer heated to 350 degrees and fry until golden-brown, about 3 minutes. Remove and hold until plating.
FOR THE AIOLI
- In a bowl, whisk together maynnaise, turmeric, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- In the center of a plate, place one waffle lined with radicchio, the egg and then the crab cake, followed by the Napa slaw.
- Lastly, crown with another waffle and place a bamboo pick to hold it all together. (The pick also breaks the yolk for final presentation.)
- Garnish with green tomato fries and serve with the aioli on the side.
Ingredient availability varies by location*