PillsburyTM 9-inch preformed pie shells, made with lard or vegetable shortening, offer a tender shortbread-like texture in a metal tin with a specially designed slope and lip to increase dough stability and minimize breakage. The neutral flavor works well for both sweet and savory pies.
- Heat a standard oven to 425 degrees (or a convection oven to 375 degrees).
- In a large bowl, gently mix filling ingredients.
- Lightly thaw one pie shell and dock with fork around sides and bottom of crust.
- Place filling into pie shell and set aside.
For the Top Crust
- While the second shell is still frozen, prepare top crust by removing the crimp from second shell with sharp knife.
- Remove uncrimped frozen shell from pan and center upside down on top of filled pie. Let thaw 10 to 20 minutes then crimp edges together.
- Cut 2 to 3 slits in top crust.
- Place pie on sheet pan for stability and bake 40-45 minutes or until apples are tender and crust is golden brown. (If oven runs hot and edges are browning too fast, cover edge crust with 2 to 3-inch wide strips of foil after first 15-20 minutes of baking to prevent excessive browning).
- Cool on cooling rack at least 2 hours before serving.
Ingredient availability varies by location*