Directions for the Mushroom Filling
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large, deep sided skillet or dutch oven oven medium heat. Add the mushroom and cook 8-10 minutes, until the start to brown.
- Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the skillet. Add the diced leek, green onions, green bell pepper, carrots, and garlic. Stir and cook for 10-12 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the red wine and deglaze the vegetables. Add the red wine vinegar, tomatoes, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. Cook another 10-12 minutes, until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Transfer the mixture to a food processor or vitamix and pulse 8-10 times. You don't want to puree the mixture. You are looking for a chunky texture.
- Transfer back to the pan and add the mushrooms and cilantro. Cook for another 5 minutes, until most of the liquid has evaporated. Taste and add any more salt and pepper to taste. For more tang, add a touch more vinegar.
- Set aside until serving with the arepas.