- FOR THE RUB - Mix all ingredients together, salt, pepper, paprika, chili powder, garlic powder. Set aside.
- For the Belly - Preheat smoker to 250 F. I personally used a combination of lump charcoal with apple & hickory wood chunks (soaked for about an hour).
- Cut belly into 1-1/2" cubes, and season evenly. Transfer rubbed cubes onto grates and place on smoker, uncovered. Smoke until there is a visible dark brown bark formed on the cubes (approx. 3 hours).
Remove belly cubes and increase smoker temp to 300 F. Transfer belly cubes to a sheet of foil, packed tightly in 1 single layer. Pour the apple juice and honey over the pork cubes and toss lightly. Wrap tightly with foil and return to smoker. Cook until cubes are tender (approx. 1 hour). Looking for an internal
temperature of 208 F.
- Open foil packet and pour BBQ sauce and toss lightly to coat. place back on the smoker until sauce starts to caramelize and becomes tacky. (approx. 45min)
- IMPORTANT - all smokers are not equal. Keep a close eye on product at all times. Highly recommend using a probe thermometer while smoking.
Ingredient availability varies by location*