MIS EN PLACE:
- Peel potatoes, hold in water.
- Combine the eggs and half and half.
- Measure out and combine the parmesan and cheddar.
- Combine the salt and pepper and mix. Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Lightly oil and line the bottom of a 4" half pan with parchment paper.
- Use a mandolin to slice the potatoes lengthwise, into 1/6" thick slices into a bowl. To keep the potatoes from curling and discoloring, slice them one at a time as you build the strata.
BUILD THE STRATA:
Build the first layer, then repeat until the pan is full.
- Place 1/4 cup (2 fluid ounces) of the egg mixture onto the parchment in the pan.
- Shingle layer the potatoes into the bottom of the pan, overlapping each potato slice by 50% to cover the entire pan base in a single layer.
- Lightly season the potatoes with the salt/pepper mixture.
- Lightly sprinkle about 2/3 cup cheese over the seasoned potatoes.
- Repeat to create the second layer.
- Every three layers of potatoes, add just enough egg mixture (about 1/3 cup) to cover the existing potato layers, but not enough to make them "float" in egg mix.
- After adding the egg, press firmly onto the potatoes to work the mixture into the layers. Repeat until the pan is filled nearly to the top (leave a little room for the egg to expand) or you use all the potatoes.
BAKE THE STRATA:
- Season the top layer with salt/pepper and top with cheese mix.
- Place parchment over the top of the strata and cover with foil. Bake at 325°F for 2 hours or until the internal temperature reaches 180°F. (Potatoes should feel tender when poked with a skewer.)
- Remove the pan, and carefully remove the foil and parchment, and if there are any pooled egg on top return to the oven for 10-15 minutes to finish cooking the eggs. Remove from the oven and cool in the refrigerator overnight.
PREPARING THE STRATA FOR SERVICE:
- Take the chilled strata and run a knife along the pan edges to release the sides of the strata from the pan.
- Place a cutting board on top of the pan and invert to remove from the pan, then remove the parchment from the bottom of the strata.
- Cut the upside-down strata into 4x4 inch squares, and then split those into triangles. (Cutting it upside down makes for cleaner cuts.)
- Transfer the squares to a parchment or silpat-lined baking sheet and bake in a preheated 350°F oven for about 15 minutes or until heated through and serve.
Ingredient availability varies by location*
Chef's notes: You can sub whole eggs for liquid eggs. 16 extra large eggs = about 20 ounces. If using whole eggs add 2 tablespoons OJ, to keep the eggs a bright yellow when cooked. This dish is best if baked & cooled the day before you want to serve it. If serving on the same day allow to rest 30 minutes after fully baking.