When we asked seven Sysco chefs from across the county for their original soup-and-sandwich pairings. Chef Peter Ecker of Sysco Winnipeg created a Thai-style tomato and coconut bisque with crispy cheese-stuffed wontons, topped with tempura shrimp for added Asian flair.
WONTON CHEESE STICKS
FOR THE WONTON CHEESE STICKS
- In a bowl, combine flour with 1 tablespoon of water. Lay out wonton wrappers and brush with flour-water mix. Place cheese inside each wonton, roll into a cigar shape and set aside for 2 minutes; deep-fry for 2 minutes until wontons are golden brown. Remove to a pan lined with paper towels.
FOR THE TOMATO BISQUE
- In a stockpot, heat 3 ounces of oil over low heat. Add the lemongrass and Thai basil and sauté for 3 minutes until aromatic.
- Add the bloody mary mix, tomato sauce, coconut milk and lime leaves, raise the heat to medium and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes. Heat remaining oil in a pan over medium low heat and cook the shrimp and fish for 4 to 5 minutes until tender.
- In a bowl, mix the cucumber ribbons with the sea salt, rice wine vinegar and chile peppers and marinate for 10 minutes.
- To assemble the bisque, place the cooked fish and shrimp in the bottom of each bowl, place the marinated cucumber ribbons on top and ladle the coconut milk mixture over.
- Garnish with lime, Thai basil and tempura shrimp. Serve with fried wonton cheese sticks.
Ingredient availability varies by location*