Diners have fallen in love with delectable, healthy and inexpensive winter greens. This is especially true when they are paired with sweet and salty cured pork belly, as in this hearty salad, which works well for both the lunch and dinner daypart.
PICKLED CHARD RIBS
FOR THE PICKLED CHARD RIBS
- Heat mirin and salt in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Slice chard ribs in half lengthwise and cut on the bias into 1-inch pieces. Place in a large heatproof bowl and pour hot liquid over them.
- Chill for at least one hour or overnight.
- Slice pork belly into 1-ounce pieces, about 1 by ½ inch long. Render their fat in a small sauté pan.
- Once the pieces have caramelized, pour off the fat to reserve for the vinaigrette.
- Add apricot glaze to the pan and glaze the pork.
- Chop the leaves of the rainbow chard, kohlrabi and dandelion greens. Rinse and dry thoroughly.
FOR THE VINAIGRETTE
- Place the hot pork fat, mustard and mirin in a medium bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the greens and toss with the dressing, making sure to coat evenly.
- Serve topped with fried egg, grilled apricot, sliced kohlrabi, glazed pork belly and pickled chard ribs.
Ingredient availability varies by location*