Even the all-American burger is prone to influence from global flavors. In this case, several Japanese ingredients enliven our favorite sandwich. Serve with a slaw made with tobiko and piquant mustard greens.
For the Tobiko and Mustard Slaw
For the Hon Shimeji mushrooms
For the burger patty
- Blend ground beef with black garlic seasoning and divide into patties.
- Grill to desired doneness and brush with teriyaki sauce and glaze.
For the tobiko and mustard slaw
- In a small pan, heat the sesame oil and turmeric over medium heat for 20 seconds.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, tobiko, honey, turmeric and sesame oil.
- In a large bowl, toss mustard greens and bok choy with the tobiko dressing.
For The Hon Shimeji and Fingerling Kushiyaki
- Skewer the mushrooms. Brush with teriyaki sauce and grill over medium heat until browned.
- Skewer the potatoes, brush with teriyaki sauce and grill over low heat until fork-tender.
- Toast the buns. Layer avocado slices and tomatoes on bottom bun. Place grilled burgers on the tomatoes, then top with slaw and one section of mushroom. Leave one Hon Shimeji section on the skewer and insert vertically into the sandwich. Add one potato skewer to each plate with teriyaki sauce on the side.