Classic Greek, in all its beauty. Hearty chicken and delicate lemon seduce the palate with simplicity. Start with a homemade chicken stock whenever possible! Bolster this soup into a meal by finishing it with pulled chicken meat.
- Homemade chicken stock is greatly preferred but if needed, use chicken base to make 2 quarts of stock.
- Bring chicken stock to a boil. Add the orzo and boil until pasta is al dente. Season with salt and white pepper.
- In a bowl, whisk together the 4 egg yolks and the zest and juice from the lemon. Reserve the egg whites for another use.
- Reduce the chicken stock to a low simmer. Temper the egg and lemon mixture with the hot broth.
- Slowly whisk the tempered egg mixture into the pot of broth and orzo. Continue whisking, on low heat for one minute.
- Taste the soup and adjust seasoning with salt and white pepper.
- Hot hold soup for service. Garnish with fresh cracked black pepper and fresh snipped chive.
- Soup can be chilled and gently reheated, taking care never to bring it to a boil.
Ingredient availability varies by location*