The pickling trend is big, and for good reason. A salty brine seasoned with Sysco McCormick Imperial pickling spice adds zest—and shelf life—to fresh seasonal vegetables. Here we’ve made a colorful mix of carrots, radish, turnips and even rhubarb.
BACON MAPLE MUSTARD JAM
FOR THE JAM
- Sauté bacon until it begins to render; add the shallots and cook through.
- Add maple syrup and apple cider vinegar and cook over medium-low heat until reduced to consistency of slightly thick syrup (will stiffen more when cool).
- Fold in the grain mustard; set aside and let cool.
FOR THE PICKLED VEGETABLES
- Bring balsamic vinegar, two cups cold water, salt and pickling spice to a simmer for 30 minutes.
- Blanch the potato and butternut squash.
- Combine all the vegetables in a bowl; strain the warm pickling liquid over the vegetables and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Toss with the arugula and serve with Bacon Maple Mustard Jam on the side.
Ingredient availability varies by location*