Using quality speed-scratch items such as Arrezzio basil pesto and Sysco Classic pumpkin purée means this dish looks and tastes amazing without being labor-intensive.
PUMPKIN BASIL SPAETZLE
For the Pumpkin Basil Spaetzle
- Fill a 5-quart stockpot with 3 quarts water, add the vegetable base and bring to a boil.
- In a medium bowl, combine the eggs and milk with salt and pepper to taste and gradually add the flour until you have a smooth dough.
- Fold in the basil pesto and pumpkin purée.
- When the stock is boiling, form a test dumpling using a teaspoon.
- Dip the spoon into the hot stock; then cut out a small piece of dough and place it in the hot vegetable stock.
- Cook for about 3 minutes and then remove and test for doneness.
- Cook the remaining dumplings; then place them in a cold water bath.
- When ready to serve, heat half the butter and sauté the dumplings in the pan until golden brown.
- Heat a sauté pan, add the oil and, when it's hot, add halibut, seasoned with salt and pepper. Cook for 2 minutes on each side. Briefly grill the mini pepper strips. Cook the pork rind in a deep-fryer.
- Place the halibut on a serving plate, top with the raw cucumbers and cooked pork rind and garnish with the pepper.
- Arrange the spaetzle into separate piles.
- Melt the remaining butter, add the juice of a lemon, season with salt and pepper, and pour onto the plate.
- Drizzle with pumpkin seed oil and melted butter.
Ingredient availability varies by location*