Whether we identify as vegetarian, flexitarian or omnivore, we can all incorporate more fruits and vegetables into our diets. As customers become more aware of nutrition concerns, chefs are responding with creative options to meet their needs.
SEARED TURNIP “SCALLOPS”
FOR THE BUTTERNUT SAUCE
- In a small saucepan, bring vegetable stock to a low boil. Add butternut squash, ginger and turmeric and simmer until the squash is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain and purée squash in a blender with the olive oil until silky smooth; adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
FOR THE TURMERIC OIL
- In a bowl, whisk together the vegetable oil, turmeric and Cajun seasoning; set aside.
FOR THE TURNIP "SCALLOPS"
- Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil. Add turnips and cook until fork-tender, 30 to 35 minutes. Remove and set aside until cool.
- Using a ring mold, cut the turnips to size of a U/12 scallop. Heat the oil in a sauté pan over medium heat; add turnips and sauté, brushing with the turmeric oil, until slightly seared.
- Cook the 5 Grain Blend according to the instructions on the bag.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat and sauté the vegetables, cooking the fennel, brussel sprout leaves and carrots first, followed separately by the golden beets and finally the red beets, so as not to stain the other vegetables.
- Plate the turnips with the 5 Grain Blend and sautéed vegetables next to the turnip scallops on top of the butternut ginger sauce. Garnish with toasted pistachios and basil and serve.
Ingredient availability varies by location*