- Heat a tablespoon of vegetable oil in a pan until oil is shimmering. Add oat protein and cook until slightly browned. Add Italian seasoning and cook for 1 minute longer, stirring constantly. Set aside.
- Sauté the mushrooms in the rest of the vegetable oil until they are well browned. Remove from the heat and fine chop them with a knife or a food processor.
- Place marinara sauce and mushroom purée in a small pot or pan, bring to a simmer, and add water to adjust consistency.
- Bring a pot of water to boil, salt to taste. Cook the pasta from frozen for 3 to 4 minutes.
- While the pasta is cooking, add the oat protein to the marinara sauce. Bring back to a simmer, and correct seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Drain the cooked pasta, place in a bowl and toss with half of the sauce and half of the mozzarella style shreds. Transfer to a serving plate. Top with more sauce, mozzarella style shreds, and micro basil. Serve immediately.
- Chef's note: Keep the oat protein and the sauce separate until ready to use. Once mixed, the oats will start absorbing the liquid from the sauce and eventually fall apart.
Ingredient availability varies by location*