Sysco Simply Plant Based Protein (Pulled Oats™) is made of a superfood blend of oats, beans, and peas. It has the neutral flavor and “pulled” texture to replace the meat traditionally used in barbacoa, paired with melted Oaxacan cheese for a rich and flavorful quesadilla.
For the Plant Based Barbacoa
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat; add plant based protein and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add garlic and chipotle peppers; cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook until liquid is mostly absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container up to 6 days. Makes about 2¼ cups.
For the Pico de Gallo
- Toss all ingredients in a bowl; refrigerate in an airtight container up to 3 days. Makes about 1¾ cups.
- Fill 1 tortilla with ½ jalapeño pepper, ¾ cup cheese, and about ½ cup plant based barbacoa.
- Brush outside of tortilla with butter. Cook quesadilla on ﬂat-top griddle over medium heat until golden brown and crisp, about 5 minutes, turning once.
- Cut into wedges and serve with a portion of each avocado, Mexican crema, and Pico de Gallo.